EASTERN ONTARIO MAPLE DAY
Sand Road Maple Farm - Saturday, November 19, 2022
8:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m. Registration at the Door & Membership Info
View exhibits and opening bids in our silent auction
Gary Gallinger is responsible
9:00 – 9:15 Welcoming Opening
- Welcoming words Angela, Jules, Madisson for computer
9:15 – 9:45 Eastern Local Annual General Meeting
- Jules, Gary and Anne or Nathalie (year end review)
- Year end review report, review of finances, small review of web archives.
9:45 – 10:15 Exhibitor Introductions & Networking Break
- Meet our local suppliers providing the latest in equipment, products, and services for maple operations of all sizes.
- Participate in our silent auction for rare and hard to find maple items you aren’t likely to see very often.
10:00 – 11:00 Carbon credit section
-Paul Renaud – Paul specializes as a consultant for carbon related issues.
Jules or FH to present.
- A quick overview about how the trees accumulate carbon, how to calculate carbon credits and how this could benefit Omspa members.
-Question period included.
11:00 – 11:30 RTO – regional tourism Ontario
- Bonnie Ruddock , RTO 9 executive director. Angela to present.
- Bonnie will explain how RTO operates and she will explain how they can help maple syrup producers
- Also overview about how maple industry can become a tourist attraction.
11:30 – 12:00 OMSPA Update
- Frank Heerkens President of OMSPA , Randal Goodfellow provincial government and governance rep, vp.
- Updates on what your provincial organization is currently working on and our successes.
-Follow up on maple sector development study leading to upcoming strategic plan review. Pilars discussion included.
12:00 – 1:00 Lunch Break & Networking
- Enjoy a fabulous hot lunch provided by Sand Road Maple Farm including pancakes, bacon, sausage, beans, scrambled eggs, home fries, and coffee or juice.
1:00 – 2:00 Electric evaporators and Nectar production
- Steve O’farell and Maryse Bernier from CDL. Gary is presenting.
- Overview of this technology and how it works. Comparison carbon emission vs other evaporators.
- Review Nectar development process in relation with electric evaporator.
- Question period included
2:00 – 2:25 Economic Development
- John Candie from PR economic development. Jules is presenting
- John what this organization is all about and how they can help maple syrup producers.
- Question period included
2:25 – 2:45 Forest Replanting and Derecho update
- Cheyenne Brunet South Nation Conservation authority. Jules and Angela presenting)
- Jules Rochon and Jean St-Pierre (Boise-Est) will do a very quick summary about Derecho situation.
- Cheyene Brunet will discuss about the tree planting project.
2:45 – 3:00 Networking Break
- Meet with the dealers again for additional questions or to catch up on summer maple news.
- Pam to remind about updating your final bid in our silent auction to ensure you go home with the items you want.
3:00 - 3:15 Omafra update
- Jenny Liu OMAFRA Maple, Tree Nut, and Agroforestry Specialist. Frank presenting.
- Via zoom pre-recorded Jenny will provide clarification on labelling and packaging regulations for maple syrup substitutes. Question period included.
Contact Jules Rochon 613-446-5670 to RSVP and for more information